Director of Volunteer Services
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden seeks a Director of Volunteer Services to lead its large and highly successful volunteer program. Suitable candidates will possess the experience, drive and energy to manage a busy office and a dedicated corps of 700 regular and 500 special event volunteers that are well integrated into the Garden’s culture and workforce.
The Director of Volunteer Services interacts with a large, diverse group of people in a dynamic environment. Fairchild is located in one of the most vibrant metropolitan areas in the United States, and recruits volunteers from throughout the community. Volunteers serve key roles in the education, science, and horticulture programs, and in visitor interaction, outreach, and special events.
The position reports to the Garden Director. The Volunteer Services Department, working with other program managers, plans and coordinates recruitment, orientation, training, evaluation, record-keeping and recognition, plans and implements new and expanded needs for volunteers, and ensures that staff are trained to work with volunteers.
• Direct, coordinate and facilitate all functions of the Volunteer Services Department, including formal and informal volunteer and staff orientation and training.
• Work with staff to continuously assess needs and opportunities for volunteers.
• Direct recruitment strategies to attract the quantity and diversity of volunteers needed.
• Facilitate productive working relationships among staff and volunteers, and be a resource for problem solving.
• Train and coach staff on the best practices of volunteer management.
• Work with the Friends of Fairchild volunteer committee to provide ongoing social and educational opportunities for volunteers.
• Plan and lead volunteer recognition events.
• Oversee the department budget.
• Maintain knowledge of best practices and trends in volunteer management.
• Serve on the Garden’s management team.
• Assist with other duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in volunteer management.
• Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
• Excellent written and communication skills, including public speaking experience.
• Highly energetic and cooperative; able to lead, and to serve on, a team.
• Ability and desire to work both indoors and outdoors.
• Ability to work weekdays, weekends or evenings as needed
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Rose Ricks, Science Village Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on November 14. Applications will be reviewed and selected candidates interviewed until the position is filled. Equal Opportunity Employer/Compliance with ADA/Drug-free Workplace.
This position will assist in delivering environmental science-based educational programming to elementary and/or secondary students at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Programs run weekly during the school year from 9:30 am – 1:00 pm; must be able to commit to at least one day per week (during program hours) for fall and/or spring semester. Preference will be given to those who are available September – May.
Note: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis
Candidates must submit a resume, brief cover letter, and application to Amy Padolf, Director of Education.