Fairchild Challenge Data and Communications Coordinator
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, in Coral Gables, Florida is seeking a talented and motivated individual to coordinate innovative elementary school environmental science programs as a part of The Fairchild Challenge.
In recent years, Fairchild has developed robust, off-site high school programs to prepare local students for careers in plant science. The Fairchild Challenge brings plant research into high school classrooms throughout South Florida, while the new BioTech @Richmond Magnet High School includes a specialized botany curriculum. The Challenge and BioTECH programs are linked with Fairchild’s major science initiatives, including the Million Orchid Project and the Growing Beyond Earth partnership with NASA.
The Fairchild Challenge Data and Communications Coordinator position will be responsible for the creation of a data management system, data analysis and communications for citizen science initiatives within Fairchild’s award-winning Fairchild Challenge program. Additionally, this position will work with the team to coordinate the day-to-day administration of the Fairchild Challenge.
• BS in Computer Science/Technology, Data Science, Research Administration, Data Analytics, with a strong interest in biological science
• Or, BS in Biology, Environmental Sciences with a strong background in data management and communications
• Extensive experience with Google Suite (including docs, sheets, forms, sites)
• Experience performing statistical analysis
• Experience managing, extracting, interpreting, analyzing and communicating information from large data sets
• An effective communicator who is experienced in speaking to diverse groups of people
• A team player with a positive, can-do attitude who is flexible, proactive and can anticipate and troubleshoot program details
• Creative, organized, efficient and detail orientated, with a strong work ethic
• Citizen Science Data Management System
• Create, maintain and manage a comprehensive data management system for all citizen science research projects implemented through the education department at Fairchild
• Produce tools which allow for regular communication of the data to researchers, teachers, students, Fairchild administrators and the community.
• Train staff, teachers and students how to access and utilize the system through in-person, online and video trainings.
• Conduct data analysis and prepare materials to communication results.
• Identify a vehicle/method that works with our current website and google docs to continuous updates that incoming data in a easily understandable format for our website.
• Regularly update the Fairchild Challenge website to reflect current initiative, resources and program details.
• Develop systems to integrate social media posts, training videos, and graphic representations of current data from citizen science projects on our website.
• Identify a tool/method for teachers and students to communicate with researchers.
• Social Media
• Daily, post and report program information regularly to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms
• Respond to questions and concerns raised through social media.
• Field all program related questions posted via social media and redirect all more detailed questions and requests to the lead specialist.
• Program Administration
• Maintaining regular communication with teachers, administrators and partners
• Work with the team to plan and implement program events
• Working with the team to develop yearly challenge and associated materials
• Coordinating volunteers who assist with the administration of the program
• Create all program related forms and survey materials in google docs, forms, sheets, etc.
• Create necessary materials for internal and external reports
• Assembling Challenge timelines, reports, and statistics on an ongoing basis that serve to document the progress and create an archival record of the program
• Other tasks as determined by the Director of Education
This position reports to the Director of Education and works closely with science and education staff.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Marilyn Caputo, Education Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Volunteer Services
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden seeks a Director of Volunteer Services to lead its large and highly successful volunteer program. Suitable candidates will possess the experience, drive and energy to manage a busy office and a dedicated corps of 700 regular and 500 special event volunteers that are well integrated into the Garden’s culture and workforce.
The Director of Volunteer Services interacts with a large, diverse group of people in a dynamic environment. Fairchild is located in one of the most vibrant metropolitan areas in the United States, and recruits volunteers from throughout the community. Volunteers serve key roles in the education, science, and horticulture programs, and in visitor interaction, outreach, and special events.
The position reports to the Garden Director. The Volunteer Services Department, working with other program managers, plans and coordinates recruitment, orientation, training, evaluation, record-keeping and recognition, plans and implements new and expanded needs for volunteers, and ensures that staff are trained to work with volunteers.
• Direct, coordinate and facilitate all functions of the Volunteer Services Department, including formal and informal volunteer and staff orientation and training.
• Work with staff to continuously assess needs and opportunities for volunteers.
• Direct recruitment strategies to attract the quantity and diversity of volunteers needed.
• Facilitate productive working relationships among staff and volunteers, and be a resource for problem solving.
• Train and coach staff on the best practices of volunteer management.
• Work with the Friends of Fairchild volunteer committee to provide ongoing social and educational opportunities for volunteers.
• Plan and lead volunteer recognition events.
• Oversee the department budget.
• Maintain knowledge of best practices and trends in volunteer management.
• Serve on the Garden’s management team.
• Assist with other duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in volunteer management.
• Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
• Excellent written and communication skills, including public speaking experience.
• Highly energetic and cooperative; able to lead, and to serve on, a team.
• Ability and desire to work both indoors and outdoors.
• Ability to work weekdays, weekends or evenings as needed
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Rose Ricks, Science Village Assistant, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on November 14. Applications will be reviewed and selected candidates interviewed until the position is filled. Equal Opportunity Employer/Compliance with ADA/Drug-free Workplace.
This position will assist in delivering environmental science-based educational programming to elementary and/or secondary students at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Programs run weekly during the school year from 9:30 am – 1:00 pm; must be able to commit to at least one day per week (during program hours) for fall and/or spring semester. Preference will be given to those who are available September – May.
Note: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis
Candidates must submit a resume, brief cover letter, and application to Amy Padolf, Director of Education.